Monday, September 8, 2008

I did the work on my first die form for Metals and Jewelry class, and I blew it out..... I like the form and am going to keep it, now I just need to work on finding the right PSI's for optimal form. I would like to rant for a minute; there must be an easier way to cut things out rather than using a jeweler's saw!!! The blades are ridiculously flimsy and I think I broke 5 just cutting out the Plexiglas. There has got to be a better way to do it. I understand the purpose of the jeweler's saw, the precision it offers. Yet,in this instance where the form is relatively simplistic, there has to be some way to do it that is less time consuming. Time is to a college student what water is to a man in the desert!

The Penland chapter on die forming was amazing. My mind is thinking so simple right now and to focus on developing the skills to create a minimal form. I had no idea it could go so far. I strongly agreed with the statements about the natural desire to ornament the body. I do it mostly through my many tattoo's, my jewelry is normally rather simplistic. I had never thought about jewelry as such a spiritual statement before. Adding in the salt element for some reason endeared it even more to me, I am trying to find the words to explain it. My favorite thought from the second reading was "High quality show pieces with the added capability of limitless production." You can have both and shouldn't be afraid. Awesome.

I have been eating up all the coverage on Gov. Palin. It's funny I find having a woman involved has gotten me more interested in what is going on in the election. I find a lot of the coverage about her to be superficial. Most of it questions whether a woman can be vice president and have a family. I don't think that is a question at all. Gender rolls and stereotypes of the past need to be left there. We live in an age where one-legged men can become track stars thanks to the advances in technology and the will power of men who will not be beaten. I can't wait to see what the coming months are going to bring.

1 comment:

Jangrrrrl said...

good blogging, Anna. Nice tats too