Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Design Problem 2 Research

So after the group brainstorming session I narrowed the topic to childhood obesity. I looked at the causes of childhood obesity. I found them a nice list at www.annecollins.com/child-obesity-causes.htm. The top 5 in order were insufficient expenditure, excessive snacking, fast food diet, family behaviors and body image. On mayoclinic.com I looked at some ways to target changing family behaviors. They recommended to start small, set goals, recognize triggers, and celebrate success. I decided to continue to target kids lunches. I had to ask myself some questions such as what age range can children take a fully active roll in their meal preparation and planning? Kraftfoods.com has children with the neccesary skills such as use microwave, prepare simple recipes, and using an oven and knife with supervision at ages 9-12. I narrowed my focus to that age group because we want to get them started as soon as possible. I then thought about what kids that age are interested in. I looked at some reading lists on amazon.com. It seems to be the age of Harry Potter. Kids like magic and mayhem, erie and unnatural, superheros and superpowers. I then surfed around for portion sizes and needs for kids in that age range. www.theportionplate.com/kidsplate had some good examples kids could relate to, such as a pack of crayons, a yo-yo, half a tennis ball or a CD. Finally I surfed around for what is out there now. The only thing really offered is the Bento Lunch Box on lunchboxes.com. It is BORING!! Nothing like what kids this age would find cool. I have decided to possibly narrow the field to just a girls lunch box at the moment, because I want to use fun shapes. I want to make them cool. Like a Harry Potter lunch box that all the kids want.

No comments: