Thursday, October 30, 2008

Mind your manners

When we first started our social design class one of the social issues we talked about was manners. How people treat other people seems to be a deteriorating courtesy. Check this out http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/cityarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=11520000 an article today on MSN entitled "Mind Your Manners … Your Waiter is Watching
Servers dish about discourteous customers -- and how they take their revenge." Being in the service industry myself for over a decade now how we treat those around us is one of my pet peeves. I am not your dog, do not snap, whistle, or yell for me. Just because I choose a position of service, because I actually at times enjoy it does not make you better than me. That attitude of entitlement is infuriating! I'm working on my second college degree so don't assume that I can't or am too stupid to have a better job. Often I do my job knowing there will not be an adequate tip at the end of my duties. Tipping is not a city in China. You don't work for free why should I have to just because you have the option? If you don't have money to tip, don't go out. We do watch people like hawks and are keen observers of human behaviour. You learn to do this to make the best out of a situation. The more enjoyable you make someones experience the more money you earn. In a way it's like being an actress and playing the role the customer wants. I will even pretend I like you hitting on me, but don't be fooled, it's my job. Do we really take revenge? In subtle ways, sure. I can only recall one well deserved instance of food modification though. The moral of the story is be nice to people around you. Food service errors can come from several different points of ordering through preparation so be patient and I will be happy to help you. The point is to treat your server or bartender the way you would want to be treated. Attitude? Check it at the door.

No comments: