Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Inner Beauty

I absolutely love Dove's current marketing campaign "Real Women, Real Beauty." Their recognition of the ridiculously thin and overpaid supermodel, as a role model for women, as the worst idea ever has encouraged me to try their products. I liked some, not so much others. But the social issue here isn't Dove's products. Denise DiFulco posted an article on Dove's website entitled "The Essence of a Person." In it she talks about how all women posses beauty and none of it has to do with physical attributes. I wish we could all remember that a little more often. Some of the physically pretties girls I know are the meanest, nastiest, petty people I know. Most of the greatest women I know run themselves ragged between their own lives and giving all that they can to other people. DiFulco's article reminds that even inner beauty needs upkeep. You can't share the best parts of your personality and character when you are not taking care of yourself mind, body and spirit. To the author that meant taking the time to do the things she loves the most. For her it was ice skating on her lunch hour pretending to be a professional figure skater. While I wouldn't ice skate I understand what she means. As we hit the mid semester crunch and we have been running on empty for a couple weeks now with a couple more to go, it's a reminder to recharge. So I made myself a cup of tension tamer tea as I typed this blog. Later tonight I am actually going to take some time to relax. As we spend hours creating objects of beauty lets not forget to take care of our own inner beauty. I bet it comes through in our work as well.

No comments: